I have been asked by Bishop Edward Kimiec to share with you the following information:

"After consulting with Bishop Kimiec, and after prayerful consideration of the situation, we have decided that Frank Cannata should remain on temporary leave from his position as Music Director while his legal mater is pending. In the meantime, I ask you to join me in supporting Frank and in making him feel most welcome in our Church and in our parish community."

"I would like to give a brief further explanation. After considering the opinions of many parishioners sent through various communications, I felt that it might be good to allow Frank to return the weekend of January 23rd. This past week, the Bishop asked me to meet with him to discuss the matter. He had previously talked to me by phone in December.

I want to make it clear that the Bishop was very open and understanding. I felt that he was trying to be sensitive to our situation in our 45-minute meeting. I attempted to communicate as best I could the feelings of the majority of our parishioners and their support for Frank. After consulting with his legal counsel, the Bishop felt that a prudential decision be made to issue the collaborative statement above. Despite my personal feelings, as a priest and pastor in this Diocese, I join him in making this statement.

I apologize to parishioners and to Frank if any course of action on my part has added to the roller coaster of emotions we have all felt during these past two months. I look forward to a time in the future when by prayer and patience we may know healing.

As members of God's people, we have a right to communicate our opinions in a thoughtful and charitable manner. Please feel free to do so to me or to the Bishop (795 Main, Buffalo 14203). You may also call the office of either of us.

Unless there is some major development in this matter, I will not comment beyond this statement in any public forum or to the media.

God Bless!

Fr. Paul Nogaro
February 5, 2005