B  U  F  F  A  L  O      N  E  W  S     buffalonews.com

 

Five boaters suffer allergic reaction to food

 

Published:2010-08-09 00:00:00.0

Updated: 2010-08-09 06:51:10.0

Four men were hospitalized after suffering an allergic reaction from food they ate Saturday night on Grand Island, authorities said.

The Grand Island Fire Company was called to River Oaks Marina, 3001 East River Road, at 9:49 p. m. Saturday for the report of a medical emergency involving several boaters, said Ray Pauley, a company spokesman.

Five men were treated by medics at the scene. Thomas Dunne, 72, of Florida; George Kunkel, 60, of Buffalo; Steven Runbold, 54, of Depew; and William Klopp, 50, of Eden, were then taken to Erie County Medical Center.

Dunne was listed in stable condition Sunday and Klopp was listed as being in the emergency room. Kunkel and Runbold were treated and released. A fifth victim, William Ackendorf, 56, of Grand Island, declined to be taken to the hospital.

The five men told authorities they ate cookies that caused them nausea and difficulty in breathing. Itís not clear what was in the cookies.