Woman assaulted in her

2-year-old child was in the apartment

Updated: Friday, 08 May 2009, 12:21 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 08 May 2009, 12:16 PM EDT

GRAND ISLAND, N.Y. (WIVB) - Sheriff's deputies are searching for a man they said assaulted a woman in her Grand Island apartment.

The manhunt is on. Sheriff's officials stress they do not believe there is a serial rapist attacking women on Grand Island, but they are trying to figure out what happened Thursday night, and who's responsible.

"It's a quiet, very nice place to be, and I'm shocked something like that could happen," said Town Hall Terrace resident Jeri Schopp.

Schopp is referring to the violent incident overnight in one of the apartments in the Town Hall Terrace complex in Grand Island.

Erie County Sheriffs deputies said a woman told them she opened the door around two Friday morning, thinking it was her husband knocking, but instead a man armed with a gun and knife forced his way in and sexually assaulted her. A 2-year-old in the apartment was not hurt.

Town Hall Terrace resident Al Cioffani said, "I hope they get on top of this right away."
Just two weeks ago there was another scare. Neighbors said a man who robbed a McDonalds was hiding out in the basement of an apartment.

"Helicopter and police were everywhere, going very slowly up and down all the streets. They thought he was hiding in one of the basements. Actually they knew he was hiding in one of the basements and they never found him," said Jeri Schopp.
Neighbors who live in the complex said it's normally quiet, and they don't know what to make of this.

"I'm concerned about it, but I'm not worried about it," said Town Hall Terrace resident Don Schneider. 

Schopp said when asked if she feels safe in the complex, "I'm rethinking it right now. I did. I kept my windows open. My doors are locked of course but not my windows. They will be tonight."

Officials said its too early to tell whether this was a random crime or a targeted attack. The woman suffered minor physical injuries and was treated at ECMC. The 2-year-old is now with family.